Thursday, October 1, 2009

GOOD HAIR & BAD HAIR: The everlasting drama of hair amongst black women.

The hoopla and bondage that comes with black hair is excessive. I for one am excited for Chris Rock's documentary "Good Hair". It's an intelligent and hilarious take on African-Americans and the term "good hair". Every black girl has gone through and I bet you are still battling it. Walking around with our natural mane is unacceptable by other races and even amongst our own. This takes a toll on a black woman's esteem and our perception of beauty. I often feel pressured as well. My hair was never permed (thanks to my mother) but I remember being young and getting my hair done at shops. I would cry from the process and the ridicule they would push on me. "Don't come back here until you get a perm!" they'd say. What? I was only seven, what did I know about perms? I often complained about not having one after that, I just wanted straight hair. In my teens however I wore braids all through high school. I was afraid of my hair being without them. Never did I want anyone to see it's natural state, NEVER! It wasn't until two years ago that I said eff-it. Even though I do get flack from older black women and whomever else I am proud of how far I have come. I KNOW that I don't NEED fake hair or straight hair to be pretty. As a matter of fact I feel best when it isn't. It fits my personality better and I actually get a lot more compliments on it. How ironic, little Tia would never have foreseen that.
   Anyway check out Chris Rock and Solange Knowles' appearance on Oprah, they are speaking the truth!
    I totally can not stand the planning your day around your hair. I still do it. Would I shave my hair off? No, I don't think that I have the head for it! lol

    I'm glad Oprah did this. Someone needed to pick up the pieces from Tyra because she makes me feel like a chicken head. The girl seriously went on  Larry King and said "do you wanna feel my scalp?" Girl we believe that it's your real hair! ok? Can't you just have an educated discussion about the empowerment of natural hair? Dang!

No comments:

Post a Comment