Tuesday, February 1, 2011

SNAPSHOTS: Kelis...always a boss


On her perception of fashion magazines:

"I don’t give a damn what these white chicks are wearing in the magazines. They’re not setting trends. I’ve always been a trendsetter, and my mom is a bad chick to this day, so I don’t need to see” what’s happening.” I know what I like, and I’m going to put it together how I like it. I love to shop. I can go from H&M to Bergdorf’s-like that."
Her place in the industry and what makes an artist:

My job is to bring you things you don’t know you like yet. There’s a difference between performers and artists. I’m not the greatest singer in the world. I already know that. But I know I’m an innovator. I always say the greatest artists in the world are not the most talented people, they’re the people compelled to bring you something because they don’t know what else to do. They’re the painters who paint not because they can make money but because they cannot stop. Its cliché, and I don’t ever want to take myself too seriously, but at the end of the day, if I’m not moving you in some way, what’s my point? Kelis Was Here? It’s the end of an era. I’ve influenced people enough with what I’m doing now.
On a sidenote: Does that hairstyle look familiar to you? I've said it before and I'll say it again. Kelis was doing the same thing you see many boring starlets of today doing 5-7 years ago. It'd be moronic to say that her career hasn't influenced the current wave of female artists.

No comments:

Post a Comment