Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Mia Michaels: Addiction


If you're a fan of "So You Think You Can Dance" then you are no stranger to this routine.
Mia Michaels choreographed this heart-breaking piece for Kayla and Kupono to bring to life.
The basis of the piece is a woman fighting a malevolent addiction.
Literally watching it brings me to tears each time.
The song is beautiful (Sarah Bareilles, "Gravity") and the movement that correlates with the aching desire to kick the habit of unhealthy dependency is executed to perfection. This is a total sensory overload. The sound and lyrics of Sarah's ballad, the physical movement, the facial expressions of the dancers bring you into a place you'd rather not go.
Never have I battled substance abuse, but I have battled being addicted to a relationship. One that ended up not being healthy for me at that moment due to its circumstances. No matter what method I tried I came back, just to feel good for a short while. The temporary thin layer of happiness was worth more than my ultimate long term well being. In the end it absolutely wasn't, I suffered more in the long run. But the feeling of not being able to shake what has a hold of you can't be described as anything else but heart-breaking.
Watch this a million times. You won't be sorry.
Beautiful. Masterpiece.
XOXO,
Tia 

No comments:

Post a Comment