Wednesday, November 10, 2010

SPOTLIGHT: "Four Women" performed on Black girls rock!


Because it's that good I had to post it. Not only was this event so positive and very much needed, this performance blew me away. I have never seen true artists showcased at televised shows. It's always the A-listers chosen to perform because they rake in viewers. Truthfully they shouldn't because many of those artist's careers are based only on image. I can attest to the fact that I cried a few to times while Iyanla Vanzant, Ruby Dee and the founder of the foundation, Beverly Bond spoke.This organization's mission is "to bring about awareness and change in the way in which young women of color are being portrayed, and are portraying themselves in hip-hop culture".  It was so uplifting to see black women portrayed as so many positive things. The positive things I have witnessed my whole life. I for one have not one black woman who shakes their ass and has multiple baby daddy's in my family. No hoodrats, no jezebels, no ghetto queens, no video vixens...none of those. They are all beautiful, strong, intelligent,resilient and tenacious women. My friends are also the same as well as their families. So, in short I was very touched by the spirit in that ceremony. I was relieved to hear that I'm not the only one who struggles with self esteem issues due to my race. Don't get me wrong, I love being a black woman, I wouldn't have it any other way. But, there are some days when I think less of my beauty and place in the world because I look to the media and the world's take on my race and it's women. This I know is toxic, but it is true and it happens to many women all over the world. It is up to us to remind ourselves the good thing about our cultures, our families and ourselves. Don't for one second forget it.
Below is probably my favorite performance  of the year. These lovely ladies performed "Four Women" by Nina Simone. Here you have Kelly Price, Marsha Ambrosius, Jill Scott and Ledisi. What a line up!


Ladies killed it! I was speechless. All I could do was stand up in my room and clap. Ledisi was my favorite, she closed it so perfectly. Honestly this was one of the first positive huge events BET has held. While watching I noticed previews for other shows, which I must confess are all great and really diginified. I never thought this would happen for BET, or any music channel. Positivity doesn't always equal low ratings. I hope it continues to understand that it has the power to influence the young community just as I was influenced by The Cosby Show, A Different World and Living Single. Granted, those shows weren't educational but it was their setting that changed my life. These were black people in positive positions i.e. attending college,living in suburbia, working up the ladder at law firms and medical practices, heading magazine companies. I could see my family in the Huxtable's, there was finally a family that depicted a different kind of household. Little things like this can make a huge imprint. So, as we all venture out into the world and try to make a difference, keep in  mind people are watching you, and what you do does matter.

xoxo,
Tia

P.S. to learn more about the Black Girls Rock! organization click here
The song "Four Women" can be found on the For Colored Girls soundtrack.

No comments:

Post a Comment